aeskulap-devel

Re: [Aeskulap-devel] suggestions

From: Alexander Pipelka
Subject: Re: [Aeskulap-devel] suggestions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:40:26 +0200

Am Montag, den 10.04.2006, 10:14 -0400 schrieb Mitchell Laks:
> Rotate (arbitrary angles!) and Flip are important too.
> Arbitrary rotation angle is very useful when patients are at lying at funny
> angles in the CT scan gantry and we need to compare two studies.
>
> (Thats why people use OpenGL, it is easy to implement all of these
> functionalities without reinventing the wheel).
True. Rotation is quite easy and fast with OpenGL. But even with using
OpenGL you have to implement LUT transformations and image manipulation
functions. You also have to implement lists of graphical objects you
want to manipulate. OpenGL is just another path to the graphics hw.

> I agree that it can be nice to have work done over network, but less
> important
> for a workstation whichwill have lots of ram and fast graphics card optimized
> for OpenGL by Nvidia or ATI.
My intention is to create a viewer that will also run on non-overpowered
hardware. But you're right using OpenGL as optional display path is
considerable.

> Work with the standards of the entire universe, dont reinvent the wheel.
> Gamers don't use private graphics approaches. You want your workstation
> optimized for fast image display, don't be stuck on prior work you did.
As said above. The image manipulation methods would be the same.

Alex