adonthell-artwork

[Adonthell-artwork] Item gfx

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] Item gfx
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:54:57 +0100

I'd like to launch a little discussion about item graphics. They might
be needed pretty soon, so we should sort things out beforehand.

I guess that we'll need at least two graphics for an item. An icon for
the inventory, and the object graphics for the game world view. In some
cases, the icon might just be a scaled version of the map graphics (or
vice versa), in other cases the two versions might have to be different.

The main question is the icon size. I would suggest 48x48 pixels. On a
640x480 screen, where an inventory might make up 300x400 pixels
(assuming it'd be one page of our "journal"), we could fit 6x8 items on
the screen without the need to scroll. That's plenty, I think. Of
course, that's just a suggestion :).

As the size of item icons would also define the size of spell items, as
well as icons of feats and whatnot, we should make sure that the
decision is sensible.

There was also something about color-coding certain things. Don't
remember exactly. But I guess this color code should not be part of the
icon. Instead it should have a transparent background, and the actual
color (should we need one) would be added at runtime.

So much from my side; it's your turn now :).

Kai