ada-mode-users

Re: Still problems with ada-mode-8.1.0

From: Manuel Gómez
Subject: Re: Still problems with ada-mode-8.1.0
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:39:21 +0100

El 28/3/24 a las 15:20, Simon Wright escribió:

Judging by the results of the org.wisitoken tests, the GCC 13 issues are to do with SAL.Gen_Definite_Doubly_Linked_Lists_Ref_Count, used because "We often hold copies of Stream_Element_Lists cursors while editing a tree, so we use a ref_count list to detect dangling references." - it does this by making Cursor a controlled type, which controls a refcount in the nodes of the visited list, so that on freeing the list we can tell if there are any dangling cursors.

Anyway, GCC 14.0.1 20240317 (aarch64) looks good!

So your conclusion is that this is just a bug in GCC 13? In that case, the alire.toml file should exclude it and a new version should be published. In that way, anyone building emacs_ada_mode by themselves will be free of this error.

I was taking a look and haven't found a way to ban all the 13 versions in this way:

gnat = "(>=11 & <2000 & /=13) | >=2021"

Apparently, you have to specify the whole version for "/=", like:

gnat = "(>=11 & <2000 & /=13.2.1) | >=2021"

Thus, unless the exact buggy version is known, this has to be specified:

gnat = "(>=11 & <13) | (>=14 & <2000) | >=2021"

This should be specified at least for stephes_ada_library crate, since it seems the error is only affecting there. But, emacs_ada_mode has the same dependency specification for gnat, so it could make sense to keep them synchronized.