ww-tedit-dev

Re: [ww-tedit-dev] Current stable version branch

From: Tzvetan Mikov
Subject: Re: [ww-tedit-dev] Current stable version branch
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:23:01 -0700

Well, to be honest I was thinking that you should make the tag and branch :-) I have several motivations for this:
- Although I do have commit access, I've hardly ever used it and I think such organizational changes to the CVS should as a rule be done by the primary developer. Then there are details like naming of the tag and the branch, etc.
- I am not extremely comfortable with CVS - I might screw something up.

About the numpad fix: perhaps it should go into the "patches" section in the project page ?

This gives me another idea of how to organize the work. Instead of making a branch right-away, all changes can be kept as patches against a specific tag (there should always be a tag after a release). Then, if enough patches accumulate, or we decide that they are too important, or that the next release is too far away, we make a branch and apply them. WHat do you think ?

On 9/29/06, petar marinov <address@hidden> wrote:
Tzvetan Mikov wrote:
> Is the source of the current version (0.2.3??) tagged in CVS ? I'd like
> to create a branch of the released build, where I can apply small fixes
> (the debug.log file in every directory is driving me crazy
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!). The X numpad fix should also go there. I'd like to
> experiment with a cmake project if I have time. Later all changes can
> easily be isolated and merged in the new release.
>
> The current way of handling such small fixes is very unsatisfactory and
> frustrating. I have dozens of WW source packages scattered around
> different directories on different machines. There really is no way to
> know what build eash one is, is it current, and no way to transfer fixes
> I have on one machine to another one. Instead it'd be great to apply any
> changes I make in a branch in CVS (this is how it is supposed to work,
> right ?).

The most recent build is not explicitly tagged. The most of the main
line is what I used for the last release in February. Please tag the
current version line before branching.

The version is 0.2.3, the build number is what changes.

I welcome any fixes on branches or patches. We can have a patch set that
could be maintained until I'm ready with the display refactoring. BTW,
I'm done with the refactoring and now I'm working on the actual
implementation of the display module.

I can send you the fix for the numpad's insert and del keys which I did
impromptu a few days ago.

--pe