vile

Re: [vile] FTP URL acting strange

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] FTP URL acting strange
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 13:45:10 -0400

On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 12:39:23PM -0400, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> I maintain the slackbuild for vile, currently using rev 9.8s.
>
> It's worked in the past for many years but something has recently
> broken the FTP URL source path via curl.
>
> Here is a build attempt that fails at the download phase:
>
> address@hidden:/tmp# slapt-src -i vile
> The following packages will be installed:
>  vile
> Do you want to continue? [y/N] y
> Fetching README...Done
> Fetching patches/sh-filt.patch...Done
> Fetching slack-desc...Done
> Fetching vile.SlackBuild...Done
> Fetching vile.info...Done
> Fetching
> ftp://ftp.invisible-island.net/vile/current/vile-9.8s.tgz...Failed

yes - something changed with my ISP about two weeks ago and asking
them got no useful information other than that they're using ProFTPD.

See

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-ncurses/2019-03/msg00022.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-ncurses/2019-03/msg00025.html

This should work:

ftp://ftp.invisible-island.net/pub/vile/current/vile-9.8s.tgz...Failed
                               ^^^

It's not handling the symbolic links used to make "/pub/vile" look like
"/vile", etc.  I added those symlinks at the top-level in 2007
(last rebuilt in 2013) to cover up a previous change they made.

> * Connected to ftp.invisible-island.net (216.194.196.78) port 21 (#0)
> < 220 ProFTPD Server (ftp.invisible-island.net) [216.194.196.78]

:-)

> The problem appears to permissions in the intial /vile directory?

no - I think the problem is that the way ProFTPD's handling symlinks
either changed due to an upgrade, or someone modified the configuration.
Perhaps that involves permissions, but only within ProFTPD (the website's
still the same).

Either way, it's not visible to me: the configuration is outside the
container that my website runs in.  (On the plus side, I might
be able to set up ProFTPD on a local machine and see how they might
have broken it, to advise...).

> Connected to ftp.invisible-island.net (216.194.196.78).
> 220 ProFTPD Server (ftp.invisible-island.net) [216.194.196.78]
> Name (ftp.invisible-island.net:wcuddy): anonymous
> 331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password
> Password:
> 230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> cd /vile
> 550 /vile: No such file or directory
> ftp> cd /vile/current
> 250 CWD command successful
>
> Looks like curl changes directories one at time but wget performs
> the complete CD at once.
>
> I can get curl to work inserting /pub into the URL:
> ftp://ftp.invisible-island.net/pub/vile/current/vile-9.8t.tgz

actually the person who pointed out the problem to me was trying
to use wget - that didn't work, and nor do any of my browsers.

> Should I update the slackbuild with /pub inserted or is this temporary
> situation.

Using an explicit "/pub" should work for some time :-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net