underware-devel

[Underware-devel] DRI / ATI 8500 LE

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Underware-devel] DRI / ATI 8500 LE
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:05:21 +0100

        Hi,

        A short note, for the record, about the DRI support for the
ATI 8500 LE. It works (more or less) in XFree-4.3 as distributed in
the experimental Debian GNU/Linux branch (the best information source
is dri.sf.net). The trick to conveniently update from unstable to
experiment is to add the following lines in /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental,s=x11
Pin-Priority: 995

        and then

        apt-get dist-upgrade

        If these lines are not added the experimental packages must be
pulled one after the other which is kind of tedious.

        The problem was that underware triggers a nasty bug somewhere
between mesa and the drm kernel module that freezes the X display. The
executable loops forever, sits on the radeon kernel module and would
not die. Debugging becomes hard.

        I further upgraded to dri-trunk, as described at
http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/README.Debian. I also loaded
the 1.9.0 radeon module that replaces the 1.7.0 provided with
kernel-image-2.4.24. For this I installed drm-trunk-module-src,
untar it in /usr/src and ran make-kpkg --added-module modules in
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.24.

        In this configuration the pong example of underware works
properly. I won't investigate further, my goal was simply to have two
machines running the pong in addition to my laptop so that we can
enjoy to game.

        Here is the XF86Config-4 I'm using:

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "unix/:7100"                    # local font server
        # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Dac8Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ForcePCIMode"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CPPIOMode"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CPusecTimeout"             # <i>
        #Option     "AGPMode"                   # <i>
        Option     "AGPMode" "4"
        #Option     "AGPFastWrite"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "AGPSize"                   # <i>
        #Option     "RingSize"                  # <i>
        #Option     "BufferSize"                # <i>
        #Option     "EnableDepthMoves"          # [<bool>]
        #Option     "EnablePageFlip"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoBackBuffer"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "PanelOff"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DDCMode"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "MonitorLayout"             # [<str>]
        #Option     "IgnoreEDID"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "OverlayOnCRTC2"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CloneMode"                 # [<str>]
        #Option     "CloneHSync"                # [<str>]
        #Option     "CloneVRefresh"             # [<str>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        Identifier  "ATI 8500"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon R200 QL [Radeon 8500 LE]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "LCD"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "ATI 8500"
        Monitor         "LCD"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x1024" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"