tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] Symlink in opt directory

From: Robert de Vries
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] Symlink in opt directory
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:48:29 +0200

On 4/19/07, Olivier BONHOMME <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

In order to replace the TSP version 0.7 by the last 0.8.3-rc1 using the
RPM generated , I saw that TSP is installed in the /opt/tsp-<version>
directory. On all the systems where TSP is installed, we added a symlink
from /opt/tsp to /opt/tsp-<version> where version is the current version
used by the developpers and we put the /opt/tsp/bin directory in the
PATH variable.

I think it would be interesting to add this symlink in the template SPEC
file used for the RPM generation in order to be sure that when we change
the RPM, the new TSP version installed is used.

I personally would prefer to let the rpm have the files /usr/lib,
/usr/include/tsp, /usr/share/doc/tsp etc. instead of in /opt.
Putting stuff in /opt requires extra settings in your environment,
such as an extra entry in PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or extra -I flags
when compiling something with TSP.

It is IMHO obvious that the TSP rpm installs its files by default in
the same place as the previous version, or else users would go crazy
after every time the TSP rpm is updated.

Maybe some people want to be able to install multiple TSP versions
alongside each other. That just means that those people have to spend
some extra time in figuring out to make a relocatable rpm package. :-)

Robert