traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] ClipManager

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] ClipManager
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:44:56 +0200

> Here's a summarize of the clip manager stuff we talked about on IRC
> yesterday. There's some changes regarding when to copy and when to just
> reference a clip, I think I have it sorted out now:

Thanks for the overview, very helpfull!

> * importing audiosources is also done in the clipmgr.

Why ?
I admit that having it accessible from the clipmngr is a good thing, but I
prefer to have it also with < I > , and the standard drag and drop, what do
you think ?

> * each clip has a field to tell the number of references to it.
>
> * dragging a clip from the clipmgr into a track creates a reference to
> it there (not a copy).
>
> * modifying a clip with multiple references creates a copy before the
> modification, so that a new clip is created. (the new clip will have
> references=1)

Hmmm, like implicit sharing, right ?
Qt uses some magic for it's implicit shared classes, could be worth to have a
look at it!

> * modifying a clip with only one reference (the one you're editing)
> changes the clip, no copy is made, so no additional clip is created.
>
> * dragging an audiosource from the clipmgr creates a new clip of the
> whole file.

It seems to be a powerfull addition to Traverso in general, ideas and comments
from others are welcome of course :)

One thing to keep in mind is backwards compatibility!
The proposed changes, will change the project.traverso file significantly.
Ideas how to handle this?
For example, handling it by creating a special convertor?
People (including me) hate it when a newer version of a program ruines old
project files, or throws away most of your work by not recognizing the new
format, and thus not loading in everything....

Greetings,

Remon