tramp-devel

Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.2); setting GZIP environment variable breaks tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.2); setting GZIP environment variable breaks tramp
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 17:03:15 +0200

Francesco Potortì <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Francesco,

>>Could you please check, whether "gzip -q ..." suppresses such a warning
>>for you? I would add "-q" then for the gzip calls inside Tramp.
>
> No, the warning is there even with -q.

:-(

> $ echo | gzip -c >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
>
> $ echo | env --unset=GZIP gzip -c >/dev/null
>
> So one of these would be a simple solution.  But I wonder: since tramp
> checks for a working compression program, why doesn't it realise right
> from the start that gzip does not work?  I think it should.

Tramp checks only the remote gzip command, and it uses >/dev/null
redirection there. Your problem seems to be the local gzip call.

Whant happens, if you add "GZIP" to process-environment (without the
"=VALUE" part)?

Alternatively, you could change the first entry in
tramp-inline-compress-commands to

  '(("env GZIP= gzip" "env GZIP= gzip -d")

(I don't want to use --unset; I'm not sure that all incarnations of env
do understand this.)

Does either of this work?

> One more thing, since I am at it: maybe nowadays the first compression
> program to check should be lzop, which is fast

Will check, to be added in Tramp master when suceesful.

> Thankyou for maintaining this

Best regards, Michael.