torture

[Torture] FW: Re: New mescaline?

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Torture] FW: Re: New mescaline?
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 20:39:55 -0500 (EST)

- -----FW: <address@hidden>-----

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:58:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Phillip Rulon <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: New mescaline?
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

   cc: address@hidden
   From: Gordon Matzigkeit <address@hidden>
   Date: 07 Mar 2000 15:54:09 -0600

   Are you at the point where we can help with getting things running on
   the new Mescaline?  I'm asking because it would be good to set up
   Gnats repositories sometime soon.

As a matter of fact, yes.  It's still at MIT (not it's permanent home)
but the passwd file is full and it's kerberized, so you can all log in.
It's running about a week old Potato snapshot.  Indeed, I'm sitting in
front of it writing this.  The SMP kernel works (sort of, it bitches about
symbols at boot time but it's stable).  I took the opportunity to load a
ton of the software we'll need when I built it.  An incomplete inventory
goes like this:

        exim (with eximon)
        mailman
        gnats (with the web interface)
        apache
        cvs (with the web interface)
        linuxconfig
        bind
        proftpd

There's more but that will give you an idea, login for the full monty.

We'll have a total of 45 Gig when the hardware is complete.  Other hardware
details include Twin Pentium 3 500s, 384 Meg of Ram, Dual 100 MHz ether.

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask that we try, where ever possible,
to do things the Debian way if we could.  It means that we'll all need to
be up on dselect, apt, and dpkg.  I realize that this may be something of
a departure for GNU but it will make future upgrades much easier.  This will
help us to avoid upgrade aversion, a chronic problem on the UMB machines.
I did set up a 1 Gig /usr/local partition so we can do custom builds if
necessary, but let's try to keep it reasonable if we can.  All that's there
now is Kerberos.

/root/.k5login has all the usual suspects, so feel free to use it if you
need to.

Bind and exim/mailman are the real important setups, gnats is also fine, lets
do them first.

   I hope the machine has a good name, too. ;)

At the supervisory level it's bos1.gnu.org (a pun on it's duty, geographic
location, and comparitive horsepower).  Soon it will alias or CNAME melange,
delysid, mescaline, and ns1, which will all become "virtual" hosts as their
duty is assumed by the new box.  Right now it's CNAMEd out of UMB as bos1,
when it moves to Global NAPS it will have an A record.  It's at 18.43.1.109
which reverses to test-43-109.ai.mit.edu, but I've been testing it as
bos1.gnu.org for several days and it works fine.

Feel free to hack away, post your comments to system-hackers.

pjr

- --

Hugo Gayosso

Support the "Free Software", support The GNU Project

http://hgayosso.linuxbox.com

http://www.gnu.org