tinycc-devel

Re: [Tinycc-devel] Question about in-memory compilation target

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Question about in-memory compilation target
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 14:44:48 +0100

On 09.02.2024 01:44, Eric Raible wrote:
 > Then, instead of adding a new API to support the
 >      "run without state"
 > option better (as you suggest), we could just as well remove that
 > option entirely, and have a simpler and more "lovely" API then ...
 >
 > What do you think?

I think removing that option entirely would be fine.  Others might disagree.
But if we _keep_ that option, then we should have tcc_unprotect().
With respect to "tweak the state a bit", that sounds risky if we're really
trying to stabilize for a release.

Ok, I like it to remove stuff:
https://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git/blob/b671fc0594625eb5ac147ec83be6d0c1fc1a6ad5:/libtcc.h

On an unrelated note, there was a commit a while back that proposed putting
more into
TCCState, such that no global state at all exists.  I am in favor of that
proposal, which
kind of implies an even bigger TCCState.

Yeah, answer is always the same:
- eyes would hurt from seeing "s1->" all over the place
- finger would hurt for those who'd like to contribute
- not to mention what if you'd try to rebase some patch that you already have
See also
https://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git/commitdiff/af686a796bda94dc92fc3ad140ef438dafa08950

--- grischka