tinycc-devel

Re: [Tinycc-devel] Request of a new parameter for the compiler, to compi

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Request of a new parameter for the compiler, to compile only ANSI code (my first post)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:55:57 +0100

Hello Kantor.

Kantor Zsolt wrote in <address@hidden>:
 |I'm new to this mailing list. This is my first post. To keep it short \
 |I'm a hobby programmer now, but I also worked as a microcontroller \
 |programmer at a company
 |in the past. Right now I'm fiddling with compilers and C programming \
 |in general. I'm using gcc as my 'main' compiler, but recently I found \
 |this compiler (the
 |tcc) and I like it very much!
 |
 |I think sticking to ANSI C (C89/90) sometimes is useful for peoples \
 |who want to learn programming, or want to understand/view C programming \
 |from a . . . let's
 |say technical or engineering point of view.
 |
 |I think it would be a good idea (and I also really miss; a lot of times \
 |I use GCC combined with -ansi and -Wpedantic) to implement a parameter \
 |like -ansi or -
 |std=C90 for the Tcc compiler.
 |
 |Could this be implemented in a future version?

It seems to me that you could do so on the [mob] branch if you
want to.  The project -- for which i do not speak, i am only on
the list for some years now, with long gaps though -- will likely
accept it if it does not blow the code or decrease compilation
speed.  That is my understanding of the thing.

My own feeling regarding this is ... well ... it will be picked up
automatically, so.  To me TinyCC is my rapid-development tool,
i use the bigger and slower pcc, and the much much bigger and
slower gcc and clang for more thorough code testing.  I have
a barbaric primitive view on the rules of ISO C89 and stick to
them since i have learned them, i cannot truly remember that
i would ever have needed the -std= stuff for backward
verification, i use it more for checking that i am still writing
code that modern compilers do not mangle into something that does
not work out...

--steffen