texmacs-dev

[Texmacs-dev] software development

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] software development
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 13:56:40 +0100

Dear all,
 I was giving a look to JabRef (a reference management tool) and I found this
page:

https://devdocs.jabref.org/teaching

where they propose development of their software as "practical course" to
university students, I think in computer-science departments.

It is an idea I was considering some years ago for TeXmacs, namely give as part
of my teaching duties at the university a "practicum" on open source software
development using TeXmacs as platform. It would have the advantage to cover
serveral programming languages (scheme, C/C++, python) and programming
strategies (functional, object oriented) and moreover several domain problem
(typesetting, conversion, user interaction, networking, etc...).

It seems that people over there are already doing this kind of stuff
succesfully.

In particular they offer this as a "service" to university teaching staff,
indeed they say:

"""
Why university instructors should cooperate with us?

        • No need to think about software engineering excersies any more:
JabRef has them.

        • No need to provision infra structure

        • High-quality student educuation due to real-world tooling and
real-world code base

        • Sustainability of student works: No more thrown-away solved
excercises: They now are incorparted in a real-world product

        • Visibility of your research groups
"""

Best
Max