taler

[Taler] GNU Taler and the Bundesbank

From: Christoph Schumacher
Subject: [Taler] GNU Taler and the Bundesbank
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 18:35:27 +0200

Hi Taler fans!

In German news [1], there's talk about not missing the trend to mobile paying in Europe and in particular in Germany. The authors conjure that Burkhard Balz from the Bundesbank in Germany does not have a viable solution at hand. I have a couple of questions about that.

Is GNU Taler in contact with the German Bundesbank? I think I heard so in one of the talks. Is there a state of the deal?

The current version number of GNU Taler is 0.5 and not 1.0. Is GNU Taler production ready?

The German version of the GNU Taler website seems outdated, it says ETA 2018. Is there more to update there?

Even with a bank that supports GNU Taler, merchants also need to be aware of this payment option. Given the Bundesbank statement, now seems to be a good time to make GNU Taler public, maybe with an open letter or a petition on www.change.org, directed at Mr Balz to learn about GNU Taler?

Best regards!
Christoph

[1] https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/mobiles-bezahlen-verschlaeft-europa-den-trend.1939.de.html?drn:news_id=996965