[Swftools-common] Is the SWF output derivative of SWFTools?

From: Miroslav
Subject: [Swftools-common] Is the SWF output derivative of SWFTools?
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 13:19:33 +0300

Hello Guys,
I have a simple enquiry and please excuse me in advance if I have missed to read the info I'm about to ask.

Is the output of SWFTools and mainly the PDF2SWF tool derivative of your product?

Reading in wikipedia the bits and bolts of the GPL license i stumbled upon this paragraph:

" Copyleft applies only when a person seeks to redistribute the program. One is allowed to make private modified versions, without any obligation to divulge the modifications as long as the modified software is not distributed to anyone else. Note that the copyleft applies only to the software and not to its output (unless that output is itself a derivative work of the program[52]). For example, a public web portal running a modified derivative of a GPL'ed content management system is not required to distribute its changes to the underlying software because its output is not a derivative."

I would really appreciate if you give me a hint whether the SWFs that PDF2SWF outputs are considered by you as derivative of your app somehow.

Best Regards,
Miro

---
is active.