Re: [Swftools-common] incremental loading of slides

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] incremental loading of slides
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:13:12 +0200

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:00:18 +0200
Boris Reitman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is that what you mean ?
>
> http://wiki.swftools.org/index.php/How_do_I_create_my_own_viewer%3F#Appendix_A:_Creating_your_own_Viewers

Yes Boris.

> This tells me nothing, and I doubt you understand what I am asking.

I understand perfectly what you are trying to achieve.  See if the following
makes logical sense to you..

The purpose of a (pre-)loader, is to waste time showing a pretty animated
picture
while the poor user waits patiently for a sizable swf file ( in this instance
your
slide collection conversion ) to load.  Once the swf is fully loaded the first
page of it is viewable.

Since you want to load and view your converted pdf frame by frame, page by
page, slide by slide, n effect 'streaming' it, you *DO NOT* need to waste time
using a (pre-)loader!  You simply need a *viewer* to play back those individual
frames.

>  Your
> pdf2swf generates one large swf, but It should just extract the images, and
> generate a very small swf to load the images one by one, on demand.

With respect you have misunderstood the function of pdf2swf.  Do take time to
consult the help files documented on the wiki,

  http://wiki.swftools.org/index.php/Pdf2swf

Now..

- It is not *my* pdf2swf.  I didn't write it.

- Each of the utilities comprising the SWFTools suite has documentation. It is
there
  to be consulted, first and foremost. It will explain to you the exact purpose
of
  each utility.  If you still can't fathom it out, then that is the time to pose
  questions to this list, and/or check the mailing list archives.

- I respectfully submit, that had you consulted the documentation, then the
exact
  function of pdf2swf would have been made clear and you would then have had no
  justifiable reason for saying that it was 'bad'.  It isn't.

- pdf2swf *does not* extract images from a pdf per se.  There is an entirely
  separate utility for that, namely swfextract.

- If you wish to create separate individual swf files for each page of your pdf,
  then you can. Try,

    pdf2swf -o output%.swf input.pdf

  But, you will still need one of the viewer routines supplied with the SWFTools
  distribution to load them back one by one. The instructions at the link I
gave
  you previously explain what you have to do to make such a beast. Otherwise try
  rolling your own in swfc/AS2/Javascript/PHP/Python etc, etc.

5. If you are using Windows, then you can use the installed GUI wrapper which
   overlays pdf2swf,  to create the files you need, and embed the viewer.

HTH.

Regards,

Chris.

--