[Swftools-common] PDF Issues but no warnings or errors

From: Matthew Richer
Subject: [Swftools-common] PDF Issues but no warnings or errors
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:19:31 -0400

Hello everyone,

PDF:  http://www.salmizar.com/Calendar.pdf

Attempt 1:   (http://www.salmizar.com/Calendar.swf)

I have a PDF that when I convert with no special command line parameters (i.e. –O1, –O2, –flatten, -s poly2bitmap etc.) it converts without any warnings or errors but a logo is missing on the left hand side and the vertical bars (grid lines) are missing and the background image is gone.  (I’m thinking blending issue).

Attempt 2:

I use –flatten with no luck (actually worse), again no warnings or errors are printed.

Attempt 3:  (http://www.salmizar.com/Calendar_O1.swf)

I use –O1 and the logo appears and I get the vertical lines but I’m now missing the horizontal lines, again no warnings or errors are printed.

Attempt 4:

I use –O2 and I have the same results as –O1, also no warnings or errors.

Now my question is, I’d like to at the very least trap the first attempt failing and at least get to do an –O1.  However, I get no warnings or errors from the command line so I have no way of knowing if it failed the first attempt.  Can anyone offer some insight as to whether this is a bug in SWFTools or if the PDF is perhaps malformed, and in either case if it is possible to emit a warning or error for this type of document in the future?

Thanks!

Matt