Re: [Swftools-common] Changing from PDF2JPEG to PDF2SWF - Developer nee

From: Yousif Masoud
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Changing from PDF2JPEG to PDF2SWF - Developer needed
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:19:51 +0000

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Ian Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I'm currently having a website built that displays PDF documents as Flash documents

Unfortunately, despite being told to use PDF2SWF and being given the php code to make it work the way it should, the company I am using have used a system that converts the PDF to JPEG images which are then displayed in the Flash viewer. As a result the site doesn't work or look anywhere near as good as it should.

They think it will be a huge job to fix the problem.

Rather than wait for them to try and learn how to work with PDF2SWF I'd rather pay someone who is familiar with it to fix the problem.

As such, I'm wondering whether there is anyone on the SWFTOOLS mailing list who might be able to help.

Thanks,

Ian Scott

They're probably using ImageMagick to convert the PDF file into JPEG images.  In my experience, the results aren't too bad as ImageMagick favors quality over performance (it is very sophisticated and can produce amazing results).

For the quickest possible result, you can go back to the company and ask them to use FlippingBook HTML component:

http://page-flip.com/

It's a nice viewer (which I'm currently using whilst I further develop my custom-built one).

Alternatively, there is an open source solution which you can try as well:

http://flexpaper.devaldi.com/

The lead developer is very friendly and ultra responsive (answered all my questions on his blog).

I don't think it's that big a deal to switch from jpeg to swf to be totally honest, so I'm not quite sure why your agency is making a fuss about it.