[Swftools-common] Fonts problem with pdf2swf

From: Valentin Simonov
Subject: [Swftools-common] Fonts problem with pdf2swf
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 01:29:20 +0700

Hello.

I got a problem with fonts in pdf2swf.
Checked every thread in archives but couldn’t solve the problem. Though solved many other ones q:

The swf is created just fine. I can load it, search it and select text though the problem is that this text selection is not shown whatever I do. But

t.setSelected( 0, 100, true ); trace( t.getSelected( 110, 120) );

Returns true and overal selection seems working but isn’t drawn. I tried everything, selection background just refuses to appear. I tried 2 PDFs on windows xp and OS X 10.5 machines. Guess I’m doing something wrong. Also some of the words (mainly titles) are converted to bitmaps from texts.
This is the command I’m using:

pdf2swf.exe –T9 –z –f –F c:/windows/fonts pdf.pdf –G –0 pdf.swf

When I drop –f and –F file size changes by only several kilobytes. Though SWF Decompiler shows same fonts in swf but font names are not set. With –f fonts inside are called something like BDBCLC+MSReferenceSansSerif-589-0.

I don’t really understand the purpose of –F because I can’t have every font which can be in a pdf.

Here are selected lines from using the command with –v option

VERBOSE Storing standard PDF font Times-Roman at C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\000035270000591b.pfbc
VERBOSE Storing standard PDF font Helvetica at C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\000015f900003a98.pfb

Are these fonts from the PDF?

VERBOSE Updating font to BDBCLC+MSReferenceSansSerif-589-0
VERBOSE =========== MSReferenceSansSerif (ID:589,0) ==========
VERBOSE | Tag: BDBCLC+MSReferenceSansSerif-589-0
VERBOSE | Type: TrueType
VERBOSE | Embedded id: BDBCLC+MSReferenceSansSerif id: 590
VERBOSE Casting gfxline of 5 segments (5 line segments) to a gfxpoly
VERBOSE Comparing polygon renderings of size 419x2 and 419x2
VERBOSE Casting polygon of 2 segments back to gfxline
VERBOSE Updating font to BDBCLC+MSReferenceSansSerif-589-0

Also I’m getting some polygon errors. Is it OK?

VERBOSE Comparing polygon renderings of size 596x843 and 596x843
VERBOSE Bad SVP rewinding result- polygons don't match
VERBOSE Error in polygon processing

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Valentin.