[Swftools-common] swftools - convert the links of pdf documents

From: Vineeth K Kandathil
Subject: [Swftools-common] swftools - convert the links of pdf documents
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:21:18 +0530

Hi All,

Let me thank the creator of this wonderful piece of tool before all. Now in to my problem. I am working on a project to generate a digital file (pdf) reader with page flip functionality. The obivious choice is flash and I found some wonderful page flipping tools /scripts. And I selected megazine from them. The choice for the input format is pdf. I had the experience of using pdf2swf in another project and decided to go for that. Megazine needs separate pdfs for each page. The method I formulated was as follows

1. User will upload the pdf file
2. Pass this pdf file to pdftoolkit to split pdfs to different pages
3. Pass each of this pdf file to pdf2swf for generating pdf
4. Generate the configuration file required for megazine
5. Megazine will show it with nice page flipping animations

End of the job..So far so good

Meanwhile I realised that I can use pdf2swf to generate separate swf for each page, but I may need to call pdf2swf in a loop, which is ok with me.

But then  a specific requirement came up, The customer wanted to navigate the pages using the links available in pdf document (from a TOC page that is embedded inside the document or Continue on page 10 type links). This was not considered by me originally. And I searched the mailing list of pdf2swf and found that some an option -s internallinkfunction function may come handy  But I am not sure how can pass the parameter to the  function I define and/or how the converted swfs keeps the link parameter.

Eg In pdf toc, there is a link to Page 5, But in the converted pdf, how I will come to know that page5 is where I need to go.

The other option I am seeing is open the pdf2swf source code, make necessary modifications and recompile it, But  I am not sure about the outcome, since I am not an expert in C. And to find a expert in C may break the budget.

I am sure some of you may have came across similar issues and found a workarounds for them. Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Once again thanks for reading my help request

Vineeth