[Swftools-common] if you could specify PDF optimization and settings for

From: Joshua Sutherland
Subject: [Swftools-common] if you could specify PDF optimization and settings for the cleanest PDF2SWF conversions ..
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:00:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Everyone,

I just re-joined this list after a few year break, anyways.  We are working with a client and they have numerous Print Ready PDFs (assume these are not flattened, no image optimization performed yet and most likely still 300DPI.)

I'm actually fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to have them convert these "print ready" PDFs to Web Ready based on our specs, with eventual goal of conversion to SWF via the PDF2SWF tool.   Normally I would just dictate:

1.) Flatten Layers
2.) remove print crop marks
3.) optimize images to a desired jpeg compression.
4.) reduce PDF to 72 dpi

We did a few tests based on the above settings, and we started receiving badly balanced softmasks/transparency groups errors, we then tried coversion with -s poly2bitmap, which now allows the full multi page PDF to convert, but we start seeing issues in outputted SWF beyond minor artifacting and pixelation.  Such as weird looking background coversions of imagery, drop shadows not converted correctly, some text areas appear to be covered over by opaque rectangles.

Anyways, I was hoping someone could either confirm or suggest what is the Ideal PDF to be converted via PDF2SWF.

many thanks and I apologize that my 1st post in a few years being so long.

-Josh

--
Joshua Reed Sutherland
Solutions Architect