Re: [Swftools-common] Re:Newbie having trouble with frame rates

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Re:Newbie having trouble with frame rates
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:00:35 +0000

2009/1/7 Bill Gray <address@hidden>:
> Well, I guess we agree that this "feature" of flash is both very real and
> makes the tight integration of a soundtrack >with an animation more or less
> impossible without some other trick.

I'm not sure it's actually impossible.  How tight is tight?   Probably
needs someone with more experience of doing this
kind of thing, than I have.

> Is there anyway around this using open source tools?

That would surely depend what it is eactly that you are trying to do.
And to what level.   Examples include,

   http://toonlab.sourceforge.net
   http://synfig.org/Main_Page

You could also see how Gnash ( http://www.gnashdev.org ) fares for
playback, and http://sf.net and http://gnu.org
for your voyage of discovery.   While I find animation fascinating,
it's not really my field.

> Can I play an FLV through an SWF created using swftools?  (this is certainly
> possible using the Adobe tools, but I have >yet to discover a path to this
> using swftools)

As I've stated, I don't honestly know.  Not tried it ( as yet ).  But
I can when I get chance.

> Or, is there some way to cue things up so that the animation will actually
> sync with the sound?

Difficult to tell the sticking point since you've not come back with
an example,  Unless the animation happens top be
excessively complex, you could try syncing the frames with the sound,
rather than the sound with the ani frames?

Chris.