Re[2]: [Swftools-common] Password option doesn't seem to work

From: Gunivortus Goos
Subject: Re[2]: [Swftools-common] Password option doesn't seem to work
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:43:20 +0200

Hello Frédéric,

FL> I'm back with my password problem... It's still not working, I can't convert
FL> pdf with password, It is a real problem for me because I can't publish this
FL> kind of PDF without protection...
FL> Is there a new snapshot with this "bug" corrected ?

That is not a bug, it is normal, I see it more as a feature. ;-)
At least, I wouldn't appriciate it, if someone uses my protected PDFs that way;
it's one of the reasons I protected them.

So you need, As I do, first remove your password protection and then convert
it to flash. Once it's flash, it's much more difficult to 'crack' it and there
are other ways to protect your files.  One of them is to encrypt the htmlpage in
which the flash is called.
But which protection you use, a very good hacker can break it.

And password protected PDF files are rather easy to unprotect;  f.i. using from
AdultPDF  their AP PDF Password Recovery 3.1.0 does that in most cases.
I didn't had the passwords anymore from PDFs I made many years ago, using that
tool they became unprotected in seconds.
If I can do that, others can do it too. Compressed flash with html encryption
isn't unbreakable, but a bit stronger that just PDF.

If you want a much better protection, have a look at www.stavguard.com, where
a java-based server solution is used. I didn't hear yet it's cracked till now.
However, that's ugly expensive.

--
Best regards,
 Gunivortus