[Swftools-common] Slide delay on linux flash player

From: tmw
Subject: [Swftools-common] Slide delay on linux flash player
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 12:01:05 +0100 (BST)

This could be a bug in the pdf2swf tool or a problem with the linux flash player.

I'm using flash movies created by exporting a powerpoint or odf presentation as a PDF and then converting it with a command like this :

pdf2swf -s insertstop -s filloverlap --zlib my.pdf -o my.swf

and then inserting those files into a page with an <object tag> and controlling the slide shown using javascript methods, eg :

  var s=window.document.flashSlides;
  s.GotoFrame(slideNum);

This works fine on most OS/Browser combinations that i've tried. However, on linux there is a 3-5 second delay between the execution of the javascript call and the slide change. I'm not seeing this delay under windows and have demonstrated the problem on 3 different linux computers with both Flash 9 and Flash 10 beta.

I can't see that there is anything in my javascript code that would cause this. I can use the same original source document and use the swf export in OpenOffice to convert it to swf and this works fine on linux and windows. However, pdf2swf gives much more reliable output, so I would prefer to use this for my presentations.

I've tried both the most recent stable build and the latest developer snapshot, but the result is the same.

I suspect for a lot of uses the delay would be inconsequential, however i'm synchronising the converted slides with videos and it's important for the slides to trigger at the right video time index without delay.

Has anybody got any ideas ? Is this a bug in flash or swftools ?

Thanks for you're help.

Tim W

--
Tim Williams BSc MSc MBCS
Euromotor Autotrain LLP

Web : http://www.autotrain.org
Tel : +44 (0)121 414 2214

EuroMotor-AutoTrain is a company registered in the UK, Registration
number: OC317070.