Re: [Swftools-common] TextSnapShot

From: Ayman Abdel-Rahman
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] TextSnapShot
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:32:04 -0500

In the Flash 8 Help Doc , and I did some testing as well to correctly verify this.

Here is what the doc says (taken from the hitTestTextNearPos function - but applies to other funcitons as well):

This method works correctly only with fonts that include character metric information; however, by default, Macromedia Flash does not include this information for static text fields. Therefore, the method might return -1 instead of an index value. To ensure that an index value is returned, you can force the Flash authoring tool to include the character metric information for a font. To do this, add a dynamic text field that uses that font, select Character Options for that dynamic text field, and then specify that font outlines should be embedded for at least one character. (It doesn't matter which characters you specify, nor whether they are the characters used in the static text fields.)