[Swftools-common] SWF2png image quality issues

From: James Fassett
Subject: [Swftools-common] SWF2png image quality issues
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 18:33:07 +0000

Hi,

I am seeing quality differences in swf2png when targeting Flash player 8 and
above using the -T command line option.  This is with the latest version of
swftools (2007-11-09-1124) compiled on Mac OS X (using fink installed libs).

The version 8+ swf's are severely degraded compared with swfs created at
versions 7- (or within Flash CS3 IDE).  They look overly compressed.  I
would prefer lossless or a JPEG quality the same as the default Flash
quality.

The reason I need crisp quality images in version 9 is so that I can load
the SWF into Flex and control the current frame using AS3.

I hacked about inside the code trying to turn off compression and got to a
point where the stand-alone Flash Player showed the images at a high
quality, but when I loaded the files into a running Flex application the
quality degraded again. I did this by compiling with the version pegged at 6
and forcing execution of the parts of rfxswf.c that add Flash 9 header data
(lines 1299 - 1320).

Any suggestions or help appreciated.  Contact me if you would like source
images or output swf's that show this behaviour.

James.

Tribal DDB, a division of DDB UK Limited, Company No. 00933578, with its
registered office situated at 12 Bishops Bridge Road, London W2 6AA.
This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is
addressed and contains valuable business information that is privileged,
confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone
other than the intended recipient, or an employee, or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. All
contents are the copyright property of the sender. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are nevertheless bound to respect the sender's worldwide legal
rights. We require that unintended recipients delete the e-mail and destroy all
electronic copies in their system, retaining no copies in any media.