RE: [Swftools-common] Could we think about a protection / encryption pro

From: raphael benzazon
Subject: RE: [Swftools-common] Could we think about a protection / encryption process for the swf from pdf2sw
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 05:18:20 +0000

Hi,

    Thanks Sairam for your answer and advices.

    After trying to understand completely what you explain, i think that maybe i wasn't clear, or i'm not aware of technicals stuffs.
    I don't know how to avoid a file to finish in the browser's "temporary internet files" folder. Since the file is present, the problem for me is not that it will be possible to use my application. It's more the possibility to keep the pages and distribute them for further free reading that disturb me.

    I just found a way finally, by using swfcombine, to add a code that unload the page as soon as it's displayed, when you open it, if it's not loaded in the right "reader". Since the reader has his own protection system, it could do the trick. I wonder if a more drastcal way could be considered. Like putting a kind of encryption in the swf generated by pdf2swf. I beleive the protection from reading isn't available yet in the swf format. Also a swf file that load another, has no way to decrypt the loaded one file while loading it.
    If you want to read a txt file, it's possible to encrypt it and put the decrypter in the swf, after masking the code that decrypt, the security created is acceptable (but easily breakable). but for the swf, no way

    Another way to consider the protection could be to separate the font data and the swf page. So if the swf "reader" has the fonts and is protected, it will be the only way to see the page including the page.

    So pdf2swf could create 2 files instead of 1 : one font file and the other with the rest of the datas.
    Again with swfcombine, we could add a "font" file to the reader as a librairy.
    That way could truly protect the page content integrity while reducing the page file size.

    By the way, does anybody know how to avoid file caching on the client side hard drive for a swf displayed in http? (it's the fastest solution for my problem, even if the bandwith is wasted)

bye