Re: [Swftools-common] Out of character ids

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Out of character ids
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:42:50 +0100

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 02:00:21PM +0100, Philippe MAURER wrote:
> I tried to combine swf files together with swfc tool.
>
> I get an "Out of character ids" error.
>
> This error occurs in the incremented function. Can anybody tell me what this
> limitation is?

You can have only 65536 different characters (shapes, fonts, texts,
sprites/movieclips, whatever) in one SWF file.
That's a Flash limitation, and it's been there since day one.
You *can* delete characters again, and redefine them, but only if the
"new" character and the "old" character never appear at the same time
(i.e., in the same frame).

You also can have only 65536 instances (depths) in any layer at a given time,
even though this is a limitation which one can bypass, by using
sprites/movieclips (which each have 65536 available instances/depths).

Greetings

Matthias