[Swftools-common] problem with fonts

From: mtang
Subject: [Swftools-common] problem with fonts
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:45:22 +0800

Hi,

I’m new for swftools. Sorry if my problems are too trivial or stupid.

1.       I got error message : "test.sc", line 2 column 26: warning- Couldn't open font file "output.swf"

when using swfc and the output.swf was an existing font file transferred by font2swf.

(I tried several font files that got the same error, including transfer arial.ttf to arial.swf)

2.  When directly applying the font arial.ttf in test.sc, everything works fine and fast and the resulting swf is small (about 126k, and I noticed that the size of arial.swf is about 142k).

   But, when I applying some Chinese or Japanese fonts, eg. xxx.ttf, in test.sc, the swfc compile it very slowly and the resulting swf is very large (about  12,126k and

noticed also the size of xxx.swf is about 12,311k). (But I love the resulting swf very much with the xxx.ttf font. They are very beautiful. Thank you guys!)

So, I guess the problem of slowly compiling is that xxx.ttf (maybe contains 7,000+ characters) is far more larger than arial.ttf (26 letters + 0-9 +…) and fonts (xxx.ttf or arial.ttf) are included in the resulting test.swf file in a certain form. Is there a way to speed up this? Can we just include fonts for ‘hello world’ in the resulting swf?

3.       Is there any methods for specifying a utf-8 encoded representation (can be typed by keyboard) to text?

Eg.  .text helloworld font=Arial text=chr(0xE8).chr(0xB5).chr(0x9B).chr(0xE8).chr(0xBF).chr(0xAA).chr(0xE7).chr(0xBD).chr(0x91)

(obviously using text = “0xE80xB50x9B” won’t produce our desired swf)

Thanks for reading my problems and sorry again for my bad expressions in English.

Paulkk