sks-devel

[Sks-devel] less opaque error for "too many results"?

From: Jonathon Weiss
Subject: [Sks-devel] less opaque error for "too many results"?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 13:16:30 -0500

We occasionally get requests / reports from users, indicating that our
keyserver raised an exception on a particular query.  One of the issues
that I've seen multiple times, is that the user specified a query that
returned too many results, such as:

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=smith&op=index

Sadly, the error they get in this case is a 500 and says:

        Error handling request
        Error handling request. Exception raised.

Which much like encountering an error when using 'ed' is a case where
the experienced user will know what the problem is, and everyone else
will develop a deep-seated hatred for computer software.  :-)

Anyone feel like developing a patch to SKS to return a better error
message to the user (eg., "Too many results, please try a more specific
query.")?

        Thanks,
        Jonathon