sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Question: serving two different SSL certificates under A

From: Martin Papik
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Question: serving two different SSL certificates under Apache?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 01:13:29 +0300

This link might help.

https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHostsWithSNI

However this relies on an extension to TLS calles SNI (server name
indication), which sadly isn't implemented in all clients, some less
popular or older browsers for example. So it may not work in some
cases, depending on the client libraries and the client software. The
SW using openssl needs to issue an extra call to make use of it. I
think it's SSL_set_tlsext_host_name. But that's not the point. The
point is some software doesn't do that. It works without it in most
cases, so nobody catches it until somebody complains a decade after
HTTPS was coded. :-) By which time nobody remembers how it was done.

The safest bet is to have an extra IP address.

PS, if you do this, IMHO you might want to watch the logs for a while
to see if any problems arise (I saw some crap about SNI when I tested
it some time back).

PPS anybody has any idea about the PKS/SKS clients out there? I.e. if
they do this correctly? I only tested web browsers myself.

Martin