sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS should not accept or replay non-exportable certifica

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS should not accept or replay non-exportable certifications
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:32:01 -0400

On 9/13/2013 7:51 PM, John Clizbe wrote:
> I agree with Werner and Dave Shaw that you are wrong. If you are so
> convinced you are correct, post, with _ALL_ the particulars not just
> those that support your stance, to the IETF-OpenPGP list and get
> their opinion.

Although I agree with DKG that this is a bug, this is one of those cases
where the fixes are all far worse than the bug itself.

We need some turn of phrase to describe "although arguably not
conforming to specification, this 'bug' is the least harmful option and
involves the least breakage."  WONTFIX doesn't seem to cover it, because
that implies even if an option came along that involved even less harm
and breakage the change wouldn't be made.  NOTABUG doesn't seem quite
right, because it's arguably not conforming to spec.

And, of course, ENGINEERING_IS_ALL_ABOUT_COMPROMISES_IN_DESIGN is too
long to fit into a drop-down combobox.

Sigh.