sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks 1.1.4 fails to start

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks 1.1.4 fails to start
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:30:34 -0400

On 08/16/2013 10:03 AM, James Cloos wrote:
> It looks like this might be a debian error.
>
> sks-1.1.4 from debian experimental fails reliably when using sid, as of
> the latest upgrade to libdb5.1 (5.1.29-7) in sid.

thanks for reporting this as http://bugs.debian.org/719876 -- it sounds
to me like you're suggesting bdb may have changed some of its internal
interfaces or data structures without bumping version numbers.  that's
pretty worrisome :(

I will try to reproduce this on a jesse→sid vm shortly.

> Given the known problems with deb's 1.1.3, I'm reluctant to spend time
> trying that version.

Can you explain (or point to) what those known problems are?  there are
open bugs to be sure, but i know that people have run 1.1.3 on debian
systems (backported to squeeze even) for quite a while.

The main problems i'm aware of are race conditions and timeouts that can
happen intermittently with the upgrade scripts, but those should only
need to be dealt with once (during an upgrade across major distro
versions, like squeeze to wheezy).  If there are other known stability
problems that aren't in the BTS, i'd love to know about them and try to
get them fixed.

        --dkg