sks-devel

[Sks-devel] sks_spider source (& DNS generation)

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] sks_spider source (& DNS generation)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 02:55:21 -0500

Folks,

I needed some software publicly available, to give a presentation to a
local Golang programming group I've been helping to get going
(<http://www.go-steel-programmers.org/>), and so I ended up putting
sks_spider out onto GitHub with an Apache 2 license:

  <https://github.com/syscomet/sks_spider>

I just realised that I never told anyone here.  Oops!

This code is the Go rewrite of the Python I used to use; it drives
<http://sks.spodhuis.org/sks-peers>.  There's a README.md which explains
how it's built, run, how it's integrated into nginx, etc.

I just added a contrib/ directory which holds a Perl script, which is
what I use for generating DNS pool zones.

The code itself was a weekend rewrite to scratch some itches; this is
most visible in the horrid HTML template embedding, where I just ported
the existing templates with minimal interpolation adjustments.  Worst
impact of the quick rewrite is I used a btree implementation using
someone's Go Template generics pre-processor which complicates the build
such that it's not one simple command.

Most significant improvement of this version, for everyone not running
the code, is that repeated restarts during development are unlikely to
cause op=stats queries to go out, since HTTP-retrieved server state is
correctly serialized to/from disk during a quickrestart.  For anyone
running the code, the benefits are the significant performance gains I
got, with lower resource consumption.

Anyway, might be of interest to other PHP-averse programmers out there.
/me ducks away from Kristian.  :)

Oh, and the Continuous Integration results page:

  https://travis-ci.org/syscomet/sks_spider

(There may not be many tests, but they've caught an embarrassing ratio
 of bugs).

Regards,
-Phil