sks-devel

[Sks-devel] hg repo existence etiquette post-merge?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] hg repo existence etiquette post-merge?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:25:08 -0700

While I've used git/hg a bit, before today I hadn't dealt with creating
server-forked repos and issue pull requests.

That part of the process is clean and simple.  But none of the docs I'm
finding describe what happens *next*, how do you clean up?

I know that for git-like models, and I assume mercurial too, a
single-instance store reduces the "cost" of the repo to the metadata
about the repo and, for each branch in the repo (ie master) an id tag
referencing the commit which represents the tip of the branch.  So
leaving the repo there isn't really consuming significant resources.

On the other hand, it's a fork which will "decay" uselessly for months
at a time, and if someone contributes patches to many projects, one will
just build up a list of old repository forks.  I do contribute patches
to all sorts of projects, just normally via bug-trackers or email.

Is there a consensus on how to manage this repos?  Just leave them and
don't worry about it?

Thanks,
-Phil