sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks dumps

From: John Clizbe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks dumps
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:36:08 -0500

Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm going to create weekly or daily (currently undecided) dumps of the
> sks-db.

There really is not enough churn to justify a daily dump

> If I'ld offer that dumps for download, is there some best-practice how
> the URL should look like and how to offer them?

You can look at thw wiki to see the different styles of URL. It's pretty much
up to the server admin. HTTP is most common, then FTP. There isn't a rsync
feed that I know of.

> Putting plain sks-dump-*.pgp would be a huge waste of bandwidth. Is some
> type of archive preferred or recommended? Maybe bzip2'ing every single .pgp
> file? Or put it into on tar.bz2?

You don't gain very much by compressing, maybe 1-2%

tar.bz2 is not, IMO, a very good idea. A single bit error and the entire
download needs to start over. With separate files and a MD5SUM file, only a
single dump file would need to be downloaded again.