sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Whats last version of SKS Server?

From: Jens Leinenbach
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Whats last version of SKS Server?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:06:57 +0200

Hi Edson,

Just to give a substantive answer:

SKS versions 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 searches and puts really everything in one
"base" directory which is incompatible for all Linux distributions that
insist in properly set directories.

If you have your logfiles in /var/log/sks, then you already use a
patched SKS version as the original source code of version 1.1.3 just says:
let fname = (Filename.concat !Settings.basedir extension) ^ ".log" in

As there is no Linux distribution that can compile SKS without making a
lot of changes first to make it somehow compatible with all directories,
most them prefer to use an old patched version 1.1.1.
And if you use the Ubuntu or Debian version of SKS right now, you still
get a patched SKS version 1.1.1 with a hard coded empty ("") base
directory. All other directories are added hard coded afterwards. BTW:
This solution breaks immediately if you use the command line option to
set the base directory of SKS somewhere else.

"The patch was a whole lot of changes at once." as John Clizbe wrote -
all those changes were needed to fix only this one issue.
With the patch you can find in the archive of this list, everyone is
able to compile it for all Linux distributions properly without the need
to patch a lot of files yourself first.
With this big patch, I changed the version number to 1.1.4, too.

In the meantime, I kept the version "1.1.4" but upgraded from Cryptokit
1.0 to Cryptokit 1.5, use BDB 5.1 and added some minor bug fixes. I
compiled it with native-code compilation. Sebastian and I use it for our
servers and it is quite fast and very stable for us.

Cheers
Jens