sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Which BDB 5.2?

From: John Marshall
Subject: [Sks-devel] Which BDB 5.2?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:43:35 +1100

Back at the beginning of September we deployed a new (replacement)
public keyserver.  We moved from a 32-bit OS to 64-bit and built SKS
1.1.1 against BDB 5.2.28 instead of 5.1.  We had problems with the db
server hanging after logging messages like the following.

  Bdb.DBError("BDB2034 unable to allocate memory for mutex; resize mutex
region")

Increasing 'set_cachesize' and 'mutex_set_max' in the KDB DB_CONFIG only
increased the time between hangs (from several hours to a few days).

A few weeks ago, Oracle released an update to BDB 5.2 which addressed
some memory issues.  I rebuilt SKS 1.1.1 with BDB 5.2.36 a on 23rd
September and it hasn't missed a beat since.  In light of the coincident
OS change I was hesitant to point the finger at DB 5.2 but the older 5.2
release was evidently the culprit.

So, if you're building SKS with BDB 5.2, it would pay to check you're
running the latest 5.2!

Regards,

--
John Marshall