sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Dump

From: R P Herrold
Subject: [Sks-devel] Dump
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:07:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

The issue is one off vs. wholesale, and the initial inquiry from the .edu poster demonstrates that it is not generally known how to get all 2.9 million without effort beyond that of a casual attacker

The initial inquiry from the .edu poster demonstrates only that the original poster didn't know. Generalizing from a single data point is not wise.

Trimming away and ignoring clearly stated questions to reframe away hard parts is a common 'debate society tactic' -- engage or be ignored

Just to be clear I asked:

Please explain how adding to that pool of bad actors by providing ready access to a frequently updated corpus is a win -- If I were a black-hat, I'd be building a new product already to leverage those wholesale updates

Facilitating anonymous wholesale transfers increases the size of the population able to readily have a corpus to spam at, with a set of assumedly valid email addresses and matching ID information

(b) people who upload their certificates to servers willingly accept the risk of their email address being public in exchange for the benefit of having their certificates being easily findable -- and who are you to say their wishes should be ignored?

'There you go again' Clearly a false generalization. From the archive: