sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Re: Dump

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: [Sks-devel] Re: Dump
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:24:50 +0200

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 21:36 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> just becaiuse something CAN be done does not mean it should be
> done, and here particularly with a fine cache of email
> addresses intact for spammers to target (rather than having
> to pull them one-off)
I guess you underestimate today's spammers a bit,.. everyone knows about
keyservers, and everyone can simply crawl through them. And there are
publicly known dumps available, apart from that.
Maintaining a list of those would just help the respective admins to
keep their traffic a bit smaller.

> I think you are running around solving a problem that does not
> exist, and impariing the privacy of a whole community's
> members
Really,... anyone who beliefs in privacy or anti-spam-measures by not
publishing his email and/or his key has either to completely stay
"alone" (in terms of being non reachable) or accept the fact that
addresses will get known by spammers and that the only real measure
against spam are spam filters, and not childish "don't tell ya my
address or make stupid things like email(at).-domain.com (yes, also
spammers know how to use regular expressions).

Cheers,
Chris.