simulavr-devel

Re: test result code was Re: [Simulavr-devel] avrtest and simulavr vssim

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: test result code was Re: [Simulavr-devel] avrtest and simulavr vssimulavrxx
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:28:19 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

(Timeframe for the transition from old simulavr to simulavrxx.)

> I would bet you a good German beer that it would take less time than
> that for the "legions" of old simulavr users to switch over. ;-)

I wonder where you'd get the good German beer from over in Colorado. :)

The big question mark is simply that you'll never know for sure in an
opensource project about how many active users might actually be out
there.  I've sometimes be surprised by people approaching me in
private mail, when it turned out they've been using a particular
feature for years you'd never have guessed about, just because the
feature has once been there.  Just remember how many years we've been
telling people that there was really no realistic reason for crying
after the death of the old sbi and cbi macros...

Stories like these make me a little cautious about dropping certain
backwards compatibility when it were actually easy enough to maintain.