sed-devel

Re: [EXT] Re: Making sed a literate executable

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: Making sed a literate executable
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:24:42 -0800

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 10:18 PM Krish Jain <kjain7@u.rochester.edu> wrote:
I wanted to propose an idea: make sed a 'Literate Executable' that dumps
its own source-code
tarball to stdout when a new flag is given on the command line.  Basic
idea:  https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3570938

Thanks, but I see too little justification for the binary size increase.
One justification listed in the paper is that it's too hard to determine
from which sources a given binary was built.
However, I believe that in the vast majority of cases (binary from a
distribution .rpm or .deb file), it is easy to map the RPM or DEB version
back to an upstream commit hash, perhaps applying some distro-provided
patches.