Re: Cursor problems with some applications in linux console

From: David Woodfall
Subject: Re: Cursor problems with some applications in linux console
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 11:07:12 +0100

On Tuesday 16 October 2018 01:01,
Dave Woodfall <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2018 01:53,
> Jostein Berntsen <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:
> > On 16.10.18,00:40, David Woodfall wrote:
> > > On Monday 15 October 2018 21:29,
> > > Dave Woodfall <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:

> > > I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but setting termcapinfo seems to
> > > have no effect. I tried to get all possible combinations with:
> > >
> > > termcapinfo linux cnorm=\E[?34h\E[?3c
> > > termcapinfo screen cnorm=\E[?34h\E[?3c
> > > termcapinfo screen.linux cnorm=\E[?34h\E[?3c
> > >
> > > But in screen infocmp | grep cnorm still shows:
> > >
> > > cnorm=\E[34h\E[?25h
> > >
> > > Isn't it meant to show the changed setting? I tried running mutt and
> > > finch, but they still reset the cursor.
> > >
> > > The first line of infocmp:
> > >
> > > #       Reconstructed via infocmp from file:
> > > #       /usr/share/terminfo/s/screen.linux
> > > screen.linux|screen in linux console,
> > >
> > > TERM is screen.linux
> > > Screen version 4.06.02
> > >

> > Will setting this in ~/.bashrc:
> >
> > if [ "$TERM" != "xterm-256color" ]; then
> >       export TERM=xterm-256color
> > fi
> >
> > and this in ~/.screenrc work better?
> >
> > setenv TERM screen
> >

> > Jostein
>
> It's not a good idea to globally mess with $TERM to be honest. What I
> do at the moment with mutt and vim is set it as I start them:
>
> TERM=ansi vim
> TERM=xterm-color mutt
>
> That way only those applications get the wrong TERM setting and
> nothing else.
>
> That works for vim and mutt but has no effect on the other

It seems now those other applications also work by passing TERM to
them with he cnorm changed.

Problem solved.

--
Dave

Note that if I can get you to "su and say" something just by asking,
you have a very serious security problem on your system and you should
look into it.
  -- Paul Vixie, vixie-cron 3.0.1 installation notes