savannah-hackers

[sr #110566] `svn propset svn:log` is rejected

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110566] `svn propset svn:log` is rejected
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 20:59:05 -0400 (EDT)

Savannah's Subversion has been in place for many years with the
current configuration.  This predates my involvement by a long time.
It was always conveyed to me that it was meant as a permanent
repository for Free Software.  Rather similar to publishing
information in a traditional book or a newspaper.  Once something has
been published it has been published.

Certainly if something escaped that was illegal or posed a danger to
someone or was otherwise significantly important to redact then we
could dump the repository and filter out the required information.
But it's rather a big deal to do this with subversion.

For normal things with subversion it is expected that if something
needs to be changed that it will simply be changed and a new commit
with that change committed.  It will record the history correctly that
it was one way at one point in time and then it was changed to be
different at a later point in time.  That's the normal expectation.

It has been a while since I have been deeply knowledgeable about svn
configurations, I have slept many times since then, and I forget the
details of it.  Is this a question that is important enough that I
need to learn it again in order to answer your question in more
detail?

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110566>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/