savannah-hackers

[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Fwd - Frm: address@hidden, Subj: SAVANNAH SECURI

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Fwd - Frm: address@hidden, Subj: SAVANNAH SECURITY BUG]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:08:20 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>

    > "Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden> said:

    > > savannah-hackers, could you please investigate this report?  You can
    > > write back to Tom directly to ask for details.

I would have written directly in the first place but I wasn't sure
that was appropriate for a report of this nature.

    > > It seems that any savannah user can edit the bug database of my
    > > project -- even those whom I have not authorized to do so.

    > Can you give an example?

Sure.  Prior to the crack, only managers could reassign or change the
status of tracker items for gnu-arch.  Besides me, only robertc had
been given such privileges.

Recently, user jblack has needed to work on the the tracker with
technician and manager privileges.   I offered to give him those
privileges but he thought I already had because he's been closing
bugs, assigning bugs and so forth.

It is _not_ a problem for the project that jblack is doing those
things -- I want him to be doing those things.  He has my permission
even though the savannah software doesn't think he does.

What is a problem (for Savannah) is that he is not yet a member of the
project (he has a membership request pending) and does not have
technician or manager permissions.

At first I thought this meant "any user can do these things" but I
wonder now if it really isn't "any user with a pending membership
request"?

Thanks,

-t