savannah-hackers

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: about savannah reinstallation management

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: about savannah reinstallation management
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:49:39 +0100

Hello,

some non-technical words about the current situation. I've been involved with Savannah to a much lesser extent than Mathieu, and I think I have both an external and internal point of view on it.

Savannah is a complex piece of software, which needs constant care and evolution. It has been developped and maintained collaboratively (from a software and sysadmin point of view), and I believe quite succesfully. On one side, you have 20,000 demanding Free Software developers, on the other side you have a small team of volunteers which are dedicated to keep the system running smoothly and fill in users' needs.

I think it is important to keep in mind that Savannah is serving two 'distinct' populations : first the GNU commnunity (GNU software and web pages management), then the Free Software community at large (ie. savannah.nongnu.org). It means that savannah.gnu.org is now an important part of the GNU project infrastructure, while savannah.nongnu.org is what I call the 'GNU educational stage' : this is where people learn about basics of copyright, licensing, GNU tools and philosophy, etc.

The FSF has serious concerns with Savannah as a GNU infrastructure, and I understand it. But Savannah hackers have also serious concerns on how the 'all public' nongnu part is consequently handled. I think they rely on different management policies and different goals.

The FSF had recently some headaches with security, it makes sense to make it a high priority now on Savannah since we discovered that intrusion. That might justify a long down time, and members of the GNU project - properly informed - will certainly understand the inconvenience.

Savannah hackers consider their contribution as a technical and political one, ie. making a comfortable and broadly open platform for every people to hack Freely & together. Non-GNU is actively feeding the GNU project, by spreading the word about Freedom and making it easy for people to contribute (subscription on Savannah is heavily assisted by your servitors).

From the point of view of Savannah hackers, we've been in a very uncomfortable situation these last two weeks. The machine we've been nursing day after day for a long time was suddenly unavailable, and we had very few informations about what was going on. We worked hard to make it a highly available service, and today we can't find a forgivable reason for a 2 weeks downtime. The announce message on savannah.gnu.org was very ackward : no apologies, out-of-topic political conerns about Debian, non-validating HTML; the feedback I had was 'plainly amateurish and irrespectful'. And, worst of all, we didn't know what to answer to our users, which rather complained than empathized as you could guess.

Now I'm searching for a way out of this mess. And the time is counted, we're loosing contributors, users and energy for Savannah every day it stays down. More because of PR issues than the fact that we were compromised in the first place. I consider it a great loss for Free Software, and you could see I'm not the only one depressed. I foresee two possibilities :

  * We learn to work with each other better and closer.

The past experience is sadly very bad : yes, FSF sysadmins can't handle most of the Savannah admin tasksin a timely manner; and no, we never managed to get access to the proper machines (mail, web) to help them although we have time and capacity for that. Mailing-list bugs are a chore to fix while they physically require only a dumb command to launch on the right machine. Web site update has not been functional for more than 6 months. Etc.

The way the Savannah compromise was handled does not lead me to conclude for improvements here. However I am less sentimental than Mathieu on this issue and am certainly ready to discuss this issue openly. Because that would be simply the best solution for all of us.

   * Physically separate savannah.gnu.org and savannah.nongnu.org.

This way we separate the different concerns. This is another machine to maintain though. To be more precise, nongnu.org could become a standalone installation (web+mail+cvs), this way Savannah hackers will have full control of the service and not compromise other GNU machines since it would not rely on them.

I don't really expect Savannah will be working as before when it'll be back online. First, Mathieu is upset and we're in trouble if he stops contributing to Savannah. Second, if no discussion or action has been taken to improve our relationship on this issue, others might follow. We need happy hackers, not upset hackers.