[Savannah-dev] [bugs #3614] RSS output of news items

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Savannah-dev] [bugs #3614] RSS output of news items
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 05:48:31 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: Savane at Savannah.

[bugs #3614] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Nic Ferrier <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Mon 06/28/2004 at 09:46 (GMT)

Just a note to say I'm holding off doing this... I'm unclear as to the status
of the savane database code. When I can establish how long we're going to have
this code, then I will add this feature.

[bugs #3614] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Savane at Savannah
Submitted by: Mathieu Roy
On: Wed 05/14/2003 at 19:11

Category:  News Mgr
Severity:  1 - Enhancement
Fixed Release:
Affected release:

Original Submission:  We should provide something like RSS output of news for
each project.

It can be easily added.

So people can print news item from Savannah projects on their webpages.

In fact, I even think that we should provide RSS-like item for each tools, so
people can extract and reuse their data. So when implementing this, it should
be done with that  in mind.

This is a RSS sample:
http://linuxfr.org/~penso/journal.rss

It looks like that (XML)

<item>
        <title>Journaux</title>
        <link>http://linuxfr.org/~penso/2158.html</link>
        <description>Pour éviter des soucis, les journaux ne sont désormais
possibles que pour ceux qui ont au moins 2 XPs. Ca évitera les
défouloirs.</description>
</item>

But it may generate big traffic. So it should be tested only for news at first.
For instance, the ml-donkey massive requests was getting news in this way (but
with text files, not formatted XML). Maybe from the start it should allows only
one request per hour for an IP.

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Mon 06/28/2004 at 09:46       By: nferrier

Date: Tue 08/26/2003 at 15:18       By: nferrier
Here's my plan for doing this:

- generate 1 RSS feed for each project, include news and file releases
(initially)

- generate feeds as a batch job, have the files live on somewhere other than
savannah (stops excessive downloading affecting sv)

- have webserver serve rss file as normal (ie: with conditional GET support)

Advantages:
- we get RSS
- we don't get swallowed up in a sea of aggregation requests

Disadvantages
- RSS files are outside of the savannah namespace (maybe savannah-news.gnu.org?)

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=3614>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/