[Savannah-dev] Re: Forums in savannah

From: Marcus Hardt
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: Forums in savannah
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:09:21 +0200

On Saturday 19 July 2003 15:38, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Marcus Hardt <address@hidden> a tapoté :
> > Hi Guys!
> >
> > I've met Jaime on Linuxtag yesterday.
> >
> > He told me that you're about to implement some hypernews-like forums for
> > savannah. Before doing that I'd like to invite you to look at what we (me
> > and the guys in the CC) have done in our installation found at
> > http://gridportal.fzk.de.
> >
> > Basically we've enhanced the "monitor forum" feature in the forums.
> > Monitoring people now receive emails with a reasonable FROM (=REPLY-TO)
> > (=gp_<project>_<forum>@gridportal.fzk.de and a subject like
> > "[forum_name] <orig-subject> #<checksum/threadnum>". Replies to that
> > address will be inserted into the thread in the forum and mailed to the
> > monitoring-people-list.
> >
> > It's currently used in production and I'd call it a late beta. A feature
> > for accessing attachments in the webfrontend is yet missing. Attachments,
> > however are forwarded correctly (we believe).
> >
> > Unfortunately I've stopped updating my savannah installation from your
> > cvs, when my workload increased, about 8 months ago. Your copies might
> > have undergone severe changes since then. We're currently lacking
> > manpower to properly feed back our changes to savannah, but are
> > definitely planning to do so.
>
> We would be happy to help you and to discuss for further
> collaboration. Did you read the message Derek FEICHTINGER posted on
> savannah-dev recently?

Nope, I had to stop monitoring savannah-dev.

> If not, I would like to read it and tell us what you think:
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-dev/2003-07/msg00019.html

I like his words about the organization. Especially creating new branches for
different groups developing different features sounds good, because it looks
like three groups developing on three different features and installations.

Because of that it makes even more sense to have a working HEAD or a an
up-to-date tag of the main trunk.

For us at FZK I foresee some trouble, since you seem to have changed the
directory structure. Also we have checked everything into our own Repository.
In this context Derek's suggestion sounds interesting. Most probably I should
be more familiar with chapter 13 of Cederqvists CVS manual. Sounds as if it
contains the key to merging back in our "branch-in-a-different-cvs".

Concerning our fora, I need to bid for some patience until we merge them in,
(unless Volunteers around?) since we're short of two positions currently.

> PS: Please include address@hidden in any message relevant to savannah
>  development.

Please include us all as well, since not all are monitoring savannah-dev...

--
Marcus