[Savannah-dev] introduction, sv_backup pb

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [Savannah-dev] introduction, sv_backup pb
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:00:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

  Let me introduce myself : Vincent, 25, commited to Free Software since a few
years. I
met  Loïc last year and we worked on game-related projects ('nel' and
'arbprogram' on
nongnu). He gave ma login permissions on subversions a few days ago while I was
talking about an old project of mine (http://cvsreport.sf.net/), which I'm
currently
revamping (http://mksp.zerodeux.net/cvsreport/). I plan to add easy and
configurable
support for mail-on-commit on Savannah.

  I just logged on subversions and saw a load of 8-10. Some instances of tar are
currently eating all the CPU while outputing nothing, they are the same
instance (one
per day) of 'tar -zhcf /cvsroot/backups/common.tar.gz common' (hanged since
07/03).

  They are launched by sv_backup. Since '/cvsroot/common/' seems the only
repository
to hold symlinks to other modules, and tar is asked to dereference them, we have
double backups of these modules. I must say I don't know why these tar on
'common'
hang with a zero-byte output and eat all CPU (A backup took more than 24h ?
Total
dereferenced size is 850MB uncompressed !).

  We could avoid backuping the 'common' repository (line 157 of sv_backup), but
it has
some modules in it (cvsadmin, cvstest, gnu-weblook, gnudocs). What is the right
fix
?