[Savannah-dev] [bug #3196] "Submit" button needs a warning

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-dev] [bug #3196] "Submit" button needs a warning
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:44:25 -0400

=================== BUG #3196: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=3196&group_id=11

Changes by: Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>
Date: Wed 07/02/03 at 16:44 (America/New_York)

Any updates on this bug?  I just had yet another duplicate bug report (argh!!
:)).

Thanks...

=================== BUG #3196: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: psmith                  Project: Savannah
Submitted on: Fri 04/11/03 at 18:38
Category:  Bug Tracker                Severity:  1 - Enhancement

Original Submission:  Please add a note next to the "SUBMIT" button on the
"Submit a bug" web page, that asks the user to only press the button one time
and not click it multiple times, even if it seems like nothing is happening.

About once a week or so I get two identical bugs, one right after the other,
because someone clicked "SUBMIT", then thought nothing was happening, so they
clicked it again.  Sometimes if the Internet is particularly slow I get 3 or
even 4 copies of the same bug!!

It's really, really annoying.

I can't say that anyone would actually read the text but maybe it would help
cut down on this silliness at least a little bit.

Thanks!

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: Wed 07/02/03 at 16:44         By: psmith

Date: Sat 05/17/03 at 17:10         By: yeupou
Ok, I'll try to find some time to add that warning tomorrow (11pm here).

Date: Sat 05/17/03 at 17:02         By: psmith
These ideas sound great, and definitely the right way to fix the problem for
good.  However, until this fix happens (which sounds complex), can we at least
get what I was asking for, which is just a warning not to click the Submit
button multiple times?

Just this morning I got _three_ more identical bugs because of this.  I know a
warning isn't a sure-fire cure but it couldn't hurt and will probably help, at
least a bit.

Thanks!

Date: Thu 05/15/03 at 14:03         By: yeupou
I agree, a comparison between subjects of the new bug and the last bug
registered should be fine.

It should be added in a general function that can work also for support tracker
etc (more generally, I think we should have only one system for post/reply
instead of 1 per "artifact" - it should help to add a mail interface)

Date: Thu 05/15/03 at 13:40         By: ljulliar
That's a good point. This is a problem that have already been raised by our
CodeX users here at Xerox. We have not fixed it because it seldomly happens.
But I'll give it some more thought. One quick and easy way of doing it is to
check for a bug with the same subject. This alone is often enough to detect
duplicate.

Date: Wed 05/14/03 at 17:39         By: yeupou
You can edit and customize messages printed on your bug tracker? Wouldn't do
the job?

Laurent, is there a system to avoid duplicate post (forum spamming was trendy
on the web, sometimes ago)? If not, do you think we can implement that and add
it to any forms on Savannah to avoid duplicate posts?

CC List
*******

CC Address                          | Comment
address@hidden                  |

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=3196&group_id=11